21 January 2008Features
During the past few years, Hollywood celebrities all seem to be on the same page. Either they’re getting married and then getting pregnant, or getting pregnant and then getting married. As steadfast as Juicy Couture track suits, getting hitched is one trend that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Here’s a round-up of some celebrity weddings to watch for in 2008, and some couples that are on the path to betrothal. Let’s face it – it wouldn’t be gossip without speculation.
- Fergie and Josh Duhamel: Despite their reportedly awkward first encounter (Duhamel approached Fergie on a set, saying, “Wow, you’re hot”), Ms. Fergilicious and Mr. Tad Hamilton got engaged in December 2007. After dating for three years and buying a home together, Duhamel popped the question with a multi-karat, round-cut ring. Though they took different roads into show business, with Fergie starting out young on Kids, Inc. and Duhamel not getting a break until his late 20s, the two have been inseparable since they began dating and are a favorite among the paparazzi.
- Jessica Alba and Cash Warren:These two met on the set of the “Fantastic Four,” which was released in 2005. Alba was the star, Warren the director’s assistant. According to several magazine interviews, the couple fell for each other right away. Just a few months after they began dating, Alba was quoted in the media as saying that Warren might be “the one.” In the summer of 2007, however, the seemingly-happy couple broke up. After a quiet reconciliation, the couple went on to announce in December that Alba is expecting Warren’s child. Just a few weeks later, they announced their engagement.
- Nicole Richie and Joel Madden:While there’s been no formal announcement, this couple has been rumored by several websites to be planning an engagement for later this year. This month, the couple welcomed their first daughter Harlow Winter Kate Madden, and both have publicly acknowledged their commitment to each other and their hopes to marry. Though neither Richie or Madden have historically been the picture of perfection – Richie was arrested and served an hour of jail time in 2007 for driving under the influence; Madden had a party-boy reputation earlier in his career – they seem to have pulled their act together quickly following the discovery that they were going to have a child. Just before Christmas, they donated all the gifts from their baby shower to homeless children and started a charity foundation to benefit low-income families.
- Maggie Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard:This longtime couple welcomed their first baby Ramona in October 2006. In April of that year, they announced Gyllenhaal’s pregnancy at the same time they announced their engagement There is no wedding date, as of yet, but it wouldn’t be shocking if this under-the-radar Brooklyn-based couple decided 2008 was the year.
- Selma Hayek and Francois-Henri Pinault: The sexy Mexican actress recently gave birth to her first child, a girl, with Pinault, a French billionaire. The couple has been engaged since March of 2007, and recently “In Touch Magazine” named the duo Hollywood’s richest couple. Pinault made his fortune in luxury goods and is said to be worth more than $14 billion.
- Charlie Sheen and Brooke Mueller: Let’s hope Charlie Sheen has better luck this time around. In 2005, the quintessential Hollywood bad boy split from his ex-wife Denise Richards, with whom he has two daughters. It was a divorce replete with slander, abuse, and restraining orders. But it seems one woman doesn’t believe the hype. In 2007, Sheen announced his engagement to Brooke Mueller, a 29-year-old real estate investor. The couple is very happy together by all reports, so here’s hoping that the man who kept Heidi Fleiss in business has cleaned up his act.
- Ali Larter and Hayes McArthur: The “Heroes” bombshell got engaged last fall to her boyfriend, actor Hayes McArthur. Without the runaway success of “Heroes”, Larter, a New Jersey native, might best be remembered for the scene in Varsity Blues where her character dons a whipped-cream bikini in an attempt to seduce the school’s star football player. MacArthur most recently had a role in “The Game Plan.”
- Jennifer Love Hewitt and Ross McCall: After two years of courtship, this former “Party of Five” actress plans to marry Ross McCall, a Scottish actor, who was in “Band of Brothers.” Hewitt most recently was in the news for an unflattering bikini photo that surfaced all over the Internet and on the cover of “People Magazine.” Love Hewitt took a lot of flak for her less-than-perfect physique, but fought back by saying that Hollywood standards on weight were too extreme. According to her website, Love Hewitt is a size 2!
- Rose McGowan and Robert Rodriguez: From Marilyn Manson-goth to Texas bred-director, Rose McGowan has demonstrated that she is wide open when it comes to her taste in men. This ex-“Charmed” star and the “Sin City” director apparently fell head over heels for each other on the set of “Grindhouse,” which he directed. The duo were not very good at hiding their affair, and it eventually led Rodriguez to split from his wife of 16 years, Elizabeth Avellan, with whom he has five children and a production company. In October 2007, McGowan and Rodriguez announced their engagement.
- Matthew McConaughey and Camilla Alves: OK, so this couple is not even engaged. But in January 2008, McConaughey announced that he and his Brazilian model girlfriend were going to have a baby together. The announcement, which he posted on his personal website, was written in classic McConaughey-speak. “”My girlfriend Camila and I made a baby together. It’s 3 months growin’ in her womb and all looks healthy and lively so far. We are stoked and wowed by this miracle of creation …” Someone get that baby a surf board, stat.