8 April 2010Features
We have all heard the old adage, “April showers bring May flowers”, but the month of April is about so much more than “showers”! April is the fourth month in the Gregorian calendar, is one of the 30-day months, and if you’re born in this month, you’re either a Taurus or an Aries on the Zodiac calendar. This is a month full of holidays, historical events, and fun facts that anyone (especially if you have a birthday in April) would be interested to hear. You might even impress your friends with your superior knowledge of this fine month we are now occupying.
- The word April is derived from the Latin word aperire which means “to open”. This alludes to it being the season where trees and flowers begin to bloom.
- The diamond is April’s birthstone (jealous!)
- The Daisy and the Sweet Pea are April’s flowers
- William Shakespeare was born April 23, 1564, and died on the same date in 1616.
- April 15th, 1912 R.M.S Titanic struck an ice berg and sank
- Pocahontas married John Rolfe in 1614
- Paul Revere made his famous ride in 1775
- George Washington is inaugurated as the first president of the United States in 1789
- April Fool’s Day (April 1st)
- Arbor Day (April 22nd )
- Palm Sunday
- Heath Ledger April 4th
- Russell Crowe April 7th
- Kristen Stewart & Jesse McCartney April 9th
- Emma Watson April 15th
- Conan O’Brien April 18th
- Jessica Alba April 28th
“April hath put a spirit of youth in everything.” – William Shakespeare