30 July 2010Features
Tomorrow is National Mutt Day! If your favorite four-legged friend is without a pedigree (a.k.a your dog is a Half-Breed, or Mixed-Breed) then you know this is a day for them! In many ways, pure-bred breeders, and sometimes the public in general view mutts as “lesser” than pure-breeds. However, mutt owners know better. They know how to appreciate diversity and uniqueness in their pet (mutt).
What is a mutt, you may ask? Well technically, a mutt is a mixed-breed dog whose ancestry is unknown, and exhibits characteristics of two or more types of dogs.
Advantages of mutts:
- Studies that have been done in the area of health show that mixed-breeds on average are both healthier and longer-lived than their purebred cousins.
- Cross-bred dogs have a number of desirable reproductive traits. Researchers found that cross-bred dogs were superior mothers compared to purebred mothers, producing more milk and giving better care.
- While purebred dogs exhibit little variability of appearance within their breed, mixed-breed dogs often exhibit unique appearances.
Most Famous Mutts
- Old Yeller
- Odie- From the “Garfield” Comic Strips
- Pluto- “Disney” Cartoon
- Lady & Tramp- “Disney’s ‘Lady and the Tramp’”
Mutts deserve their day in the spotlight just as much as pure breeds! So if you own a mutt and you’re reading this, we hope you thoroughly enjoy Mutt’s Day, and that you celebrate the day by relaxing, spending time with your mutt, or even by adding to your family with the adoption of a special little mutt from your local animal shelter!